Monday, August 11, 2014

Feel the "Burn"

Hello, if you haven't already make sure to check out my gear review post from this weekend.  It seems to be hidden a few posts down on my page but it full of pictures and information about all my beloved running gear! Gear Review
Doesn't everyone lie on the floor in a puddle after they run?

As I may have mentioned before I am currently going through a new running phase.  After my 11th race this summer I was starting to feel the "burn" as in burnout.  I realized I didn't want to run much and I definitely didn't want race or do track work.  I started feeling the urge to run without any timer of sorts and for whatever distance I pleased.  I wasn't surprised by this, this running season was the biggest I've had yet, so to burn out a bit near the end wasn't a huge surprise.  I did the mature thing and didn't sign up for a 10k I had been planning to do.  This is mature because normally I would have ignored my body and signed up anyways because its a race I really like.  However I do still have one more race this summer and its a doozy.  For some optimistic reason I signed up for a 16-17 mile trail race next weekend.  As most, this was a great idea in the Spring.  Thankfully there is a walking group for this adventure and my plan is to start out with them, 2 hours before the other runners, and walk the 6 miles up then run the 5 miles over before hiking back down.  Fingers crossed this works out!

Almost to the top, its a bit of a scramble!
Right now I am also having to stretch myself in uncomfortable ways in regards to running and more specifically my husband's running.  Prior to this summer my husband hated running and it was my "thing"  However after his first triathlon he started to enjoy it more when he realized he was pretty good at it.  Now he is on a month long running streak and is clocking in miles with 6's in front of them.  Its really quite irritating, but I am working on being honestly happy for him.  He is a great athlete and he is very dedicated to whatever he puts his mind to!  Marriage is always good at stretching you in new uncomfortable ways! 

At the top of Flat Top

This week is my first week back at work with all our staff, last week I came in early to get things prepped.  So its official summer is behind us and Fall is coming fast!  My husband goes back to work this week as well so soon we will be back to the regular schedule.  I admit I am already getting really excited for everything pumpkin and holiday events!  This last weekend of summer Kris and I were busy being outdoors enjoying the weather, we went mtn biking, running, swimming (in doors) and hiked a local mtn called Flat Top.  My muscles are feeling the good burn this morning!

Sweaty and happy!
Today I am going to get a quick run in at lunch and then hit the pool tonight, I'm getting back to it!

The views are okay here in Alaska ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment