Monday, November 24, 2014

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

Good Morning,

It is a very unusual winter morning in Anchorage, Alaska.  It is the end of November and we have no snow.  Seriously?  While I know the weather in the East right now is very serious and scary for them, those of us who are used to that weather are very envious.  We dont live in Anchorage because we hate the winter.  It is amazing actually not only how much Alaskans love snow, but how well we are set up to handle it.  It can snow several feet overnight and life just continues like normal, school is on time, races are not canceled, its just another day.  Its really fun to live somewhere that is so proficient in snow management, it helps us wish for more snow because we know the consequences wont be so bad.  Of course there are still accidents and things happen, but not on the widespread level that we are seeing on the East Coast.

Mts and an Eagle
Anyways while I do not always LOVE running in the snow I do love skiing and now that I have a pretty new fat tire snow bike sitting in my house I am really ready to bike in the snow.  I was talking to my husband the other day about training and how antsy he is feeling about not training for a race and I told him I feel just the opposite.  I think I put too much pressure on myself during the racing season, or actually I feel pressure to put pressure on myself, if that makes any sense.  During the season I feel bad about running just because I like running, I feel like I should always be racing, silly I know.  Now that its off season I am loving running because I want to run, not because I have to.  The last couple weeks I have run a few miles each Saturday morning with a friend and it has been a blast.  We don't care about pace, we just run and talk the entire time.  I start my weekend feeling good both mentally and physically, its wonderful!

Moose cuddling for warmth
Ahh nature!
While I enjoy the off season, snow or not, I am thinking forward to next summer and throwing around ideas of how I would like my next season to go.  This past year the theme was quantity over quality, next year I would like to reverse that a bit, but am not sure if I am focusing more on triathlons?  I have a hard time saying no to races so which of my favorites will I keep and which will I pass on. 

Does anyone else have this dilemma?
Morning on Mize Loop




No comments:

Post a Comment