Thursday, June 12, 2014

Mugwumps 10k

I hope you all had a happy National Running Day, I almost made mine super memorable with a 10k PR but regardless I had a blast running with the Anchorage Running Club 10k yesterday. I started a bit nervous as the race was for people who had not run a 10k in under 45 minutes, but I am no where near 45 minutes so I started to wonder if I would be last at my slow person race.  But those fears have no place in running so I pushed them aside and put on my sassy tights and headed out!

It was an AMAZING day, so sunny.  Unfortunately I did not remember to take any pictures but the area I was in is so beautiful I will steal a photo or two from the computer to show you where I get to run.  Don't be jealous...or do and move to Alaska, its really fun here :)

These pics don't even begin to do justice to the amazing view.

I love Anchorage :)
So back to the race, it was a small free race put on my our local running club and as I said before it is called the Mugwumps 10k.  What is a mugwump you may ask?  Why let me explain...

mug·wump
[muhg-wuhmp]
NOUN
1.
a Republican who refused to support the party nominee, James G. Blaine, in the presidential campaign of 1884.
2.
a person who is unable to make up his or her mind on an issue, especially in politics; a person who is neutral on a controversial issue.

The idea behind this race, as I have read, is that the mugwumps in option #2 cant make up their mind and us mid-pack runners (read under 45 mins for a 10k) cannot make up our minds if we a serious runner or a fun runner.  While I like to think of myself as both, maybe more on the fun side, that is how the race got its name.  Strange or not it was a great route with fun people.

I started off the race pretty fast which is normal for me, but may have possibly been compounded by the insane mob of mosquitoes chasing me down, or the fear from all the handmade black bear warning signs I had to pass on my route.  At mile two I remembered my goal was to run even 11min splits on this race instead of 10 mins or less on the first three miles then 12mins -death on the last three miles.  So I slowed down and got into the groove despite my music being shut off around mile 2.  It took me a few minutes to realize I was listening to pandora which needs cell service to run, whoops!  I hit the three mile turn around and was around mile four when I realized there was a huge moose on the side of the trail, I think I should get a moose penalty for the seconds I lost there.  At mile 5 I started to wonder if I could get a PR, while doing some hard mental math my pace shot back down to a 10 minute mile, that is until my math came out with the answer - NO.  So back to my 11 minute mile I went and I finished strong in 1:08:20.  I felt great, a super runners high quickly followed as I ate cookies and hung out with fellow runners just soaking in the amazing view.

It may be scary at first but I highly recommend hooking up with your local running group if you are starting to run.  Yes a lot of them are fast but they are really supportive and you can meet some great people who will cheer you on and celebrate your finish no matter what your time!


No comments:

Post a Comment