Monday, June 2, 2014

Twilight 12k

Friday night was the Twilight 12k race by Skinny Raven.  This is my second time running this race and last year it was one of my favorite races of the year.  It starts at 7pm which this time of the year is nowhere near twilight, but close enough, and finishes with beer and pizza.  What could go wrong with that right?  Well actually a couple things, before I start complaining I will say the race was actually not bad.  I had fun and ran a pretty good time despite having to stop about 5 times to keep from throwing up.  I am still not sure if my tummy troubles were due to actual sickness, food from my company picnic, or dehydration from me not taking the race very seriously.  Regardless an icky tummy is no fun.

So back to the race, it started out good, we ran up a nice big hill over to what we call Govt Hill, a place I never go unless I am doing this run. Then we looped back into town and down on the coastal trail which was beautiful!  We were very lucky, it had been raining and cold all day and right before the race the sun came out and it got hot!  I am very glad to not live where it is actually hot, 65 is hot enough when I'm running, even when I'm well hydrated I am a high quantity and super salty sweater so that makes things fun above 50 degrees.  After the coastal trail we looped around a lagoon and into the neighborhood for the final hill (there is always a final hill!)

I finished around 1:20 with an 11something pace, not bad for feeling pukey.  Afterwards I made my way to the oranges and cookies to try to settle my stomach enough for a beer.  Sadly I couldn't touch the pizza and only had a few sips of beer as my tummy was still a bit off.  I think if I were to direct a race I would end it with cereal and chocolate milk.  If you add some Swedish Fish to that you could solve the worlds problems.  It was actually probably a good thing I didn't have a beer, apparently I needed all the good sense I have, on the way home I completely ran a red light right in front of a cop who thankfully had better things to do than pull me over.  Whoops!  Pay attention!  Really I slowed and looked as if I was in a yield turn lane, but really I was in a regular turn lane and should have fully stopped.

Twilight 12k with an IPA
Anyways the night concluded with me laying in the shower, always classy :)  Does anyone else live where they have night runs?  I want to do one, although running in the winter, every run is a night run.  I want to do one when I don't have to wear 10 layers of cold gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment