Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Her Tern Half Marathon Race Report

I'll cut to the good stuff, I finished the Her Tern Half Marathon yesterday and it was pretty good!  If you read my Night Before Jitters you know I was struggling with some decisions and was overall really anxious for this race.
Here I come in the blue visor

Well I definitely made a few wrong decisions, mainly the start time - I should have started early.  In the end I was around number 500 of 700 folks but in reality due to a lot of people starting early there were maybe 15 people who finished the race behind me.  It got lonely on the field.  The second mistake I made was one that I knew better but did it anyways.  I found Hoka shoes last week and fell in love.  It was such deep love I decided to wear them in the race without having worn them on any other runs...and without my normal insoles.  Yep go ahead, tell me that was a silly idea.  I agree!  So for the last 6 miles of the race, my arch screamed, my feet blistered and I kicked myself in the butt!  What a rookie mistake!
Run Happy! (With my sister, Im on the left)

Apart from the mistakes the run was actually surprisingly good.  My hip felt pretty good and the 9:1 run walk combo I did was dynamite!  Thanks to Katie from Runs for Cookies I got the idea to run faster for 9 tenths of a mile then walk the last 1 tenth of a mile.  The miles ticked by much fasters, I felt better and I ran 10 minute faster than the half I ran in June!  In June I trained hard and felt amazing and ran a 2:50.  Since that half I got injured, ran 1 long run and felt blech and ran a 2:40.  I think I found something good.  I think if I was having a good day the walk/run could easily get me a PR of under 2:30.  That PR has previously felt so far away but now it just may be in reach!  Whoohoo!
With my sister, Im on the Left.  Enjoying our mimosas!!

About the race, this race is a new one here in Anchorage, it is only its second year and it is touted as the boutique road race.  It is put on by the fancy clothes store that is a sister store to our local running store.  The race fee is high so I was curious if I was going to think it was worth it after the fact.  In all I was surprised to say I really liked it!  I can be pretty frugal so I thought I would only do this race once, but it was so much fun I may pay the $100 race fee again next year.  The race was on a nice easy local trail, well marked, had great aid stations and best of all ended with mimosas in custom glasses that we got to keep.  If that isn't good enough there was a fun party afterwards with yummy gluten free cupcakes, a kids bouncy house, a DJ and fun giveaways.  The only thing I wasn't so keen about was the bracelet they gave away instead of a medal wasn't my style and broke instantly.  Bummer.  But overall I would recommend this race for others for next year.
Will Race For Mimosas! (with refills - Im on the Right this time)

I just came back from physical therapy and was told an amazing story that I have to pass along as it is the embodiment of "running happy."  The last half mile of the race was uphill like all races around here are.  It makes it really chalenging and I think the race directors have a sick sense of humor.  Anyways I didn't mention there is one lucky guy that gets to run with all of these women in this race.  This guy who was picked was awesome, when I saw him he was standing at the bottom of the hill and running up the hill with women coaching them all the way.  When I got to the hill he ran with me and gave me tips to swing my arms and keep my head up.  He told me where the finish line was and how far to get there, it was SUCH an encouragement!  I thought he was really awesome based on that, but I almost cried when my PT, whose daughter worked at the race, told me that he actually stopped at the base of the hill, he didn't cross the finish line, and he ran women up the hill until every woman crossed the finish line...then he crossed the finish line himself.  Isnt that wonderful?  What a fantastic guy and real embodiement of running for the journey.  I don't know this guy anything more than his name was Jay, but hats off to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment