Saturday, July 19, 2014

Night Before Jitters

My stomach is turning, I am second guessing each of my clothing choices, food choices, hydration choices and oddly my start time  Does anyone else go through this night before anxiety?  My rational brain knows it silly and pointless yet I still do it before every race.

Tomororow I am running Skinny Raven's Her Tern Half Marathon.  I am currently 60% nervous and 40% excited.  Hopefully that will change after a good nights sleep.  Right now I am drinking some gatoraid and checking the weather, possible rain - which doesnt bode well with my tank top but 60 degrees, which in Alaska is very warm.  So tank top, capris and visor it is!

Apart from clothing options, I am nicely carb loaded and already have my gluten free pancakes made up in the fridge for the morning.  My last issue that I have control over which is causing me anxiety is my start time.  This race has the option for people who are running a 2:45-3hr half marathon to start at 8am.  My half PR is 2:30 but I have run as slow as a 2:50.  I want to start early, but the race folks are reccomending I start with everyone else at 9am.  The issue is if I start at 9am, I will be one of the last folks to cross the finish line and join the party.  I may miss the awards, prizes and hopefully not the mimosas!  If I start at 8am and have a great race I could come in close to the first woman which would be super awkward!  I am thinking about splitting the difference and starting a half hour early instead of an hour.  Hopefully the timing chip mat is on and I dont look too crazy running alone.  The rest will catch up quickly!

Otherwise I am naturally stressing about the fact I have not run in 2 weeks and am committing the sin of running in brand new running shoes!  I suppse we will see how it all goes!

How crazy do I sound?  Please tell me someone else goes through this the night before a race?

Wish me luck!  Run Happy Run Healthy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment