Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Plan B

Good Morning,

You know how sometimes you have the best laid running plans and it just doesn't work?  I have had to alter my running plans the last few weeks due to a nagging pain that I feared was about to turn into more.  I will admit I didn't change plans easily.  Last Monday I debated with my husband about whether this pain in my leg that had been ongoing for a month actually necessitated a doctors appointment.  Well I stubbornly decided that I didn't need a doctor, which was a silly idea but in my defense I had a bad experience with doctors in January after I had many tests on my neck due to a sail boat mast/neck/honeymoon injury.

Anyways you know how it works, a few hours after that conversation I had to call my husband to pick me up 4 miles into my 10 mile long run.  Grrr!  In true dramatic fashion I called 5 physical therapists and a Rolfer before my husband was able to drive the 10 minutes to pick me up.  None of them seemed to share my panic and need for them to be at the office at 6pm and ready to see me immediately...hmmm.

Being a good girl I took a break from running after that day, which has now been 8 days ago, and  have since gone to the PT once and the Rolfer once as well as I have another appt. in a few hours. The new plan is to take the two week total taper and continue to see my PT to work through my lingering bursitis issues in my hip so I can run a half marathon this weekend.  My husband thinks Im nuts but I think I can rock out a run/walk with minimal pain and hopefully no damage.  Then I will go back to PT until things subside.  Do you think this is a good plan?  I haven't really been injured before so this is all pretty frustrating.  But through this I have found something new and fun, rolfing.  Anyone done this before?  I didn't know what it was when I showed up, and Im not sure I can accurately describe it so I will put in a link to do it for me.
www.rolfing.org
All I can say is it felt wonderful and I cant wait to go back!  The pain in my thigh that I had been fighting for weeks went away and my hips felt so good after I went to her.  The only problem is it is not cheap nor covered by my insurance so I only get a couple visits before I go broke!  They say running is a cheap sport, ha!

On top of  PT/Rolfing/Taper plan I also am dabbling in a little bit of aqua jogging.  This is completely new to me but I think I got it the other day.  After swimming I went into the deep end with my belt and just went for it.  I think the key is acting like I am sprinting.  If I dont try to run really fast I feel like I am either pedaling a bike or stomping my feet.  But sprinting gets me a more natural running feel.  Have any of you aqua jogged?  It is a good workout, I was really tired afterwards!

Well that is my Plan B and I hope to be able to report to you next Monday that it all worked well and I had a great race.  This next run is all ladies and one lucky guy.  It ends with mimosas and a bracelet instead of a medal, Im super excited!

Well I don't have any exciting pics from PT and my lack of running so here are a couple randoms of my lovely family.
My husband and I on the Kenai River

Left to Right - My sister mom and I enjoying some champagne at an Oyster Bar!


No comments:

Post a Comment