Sunday, March 8, 2015

Frostbite Footrace 5k

A Rondy tradition, last weekend I competed in the annual Frostbite Footrace 5k.  This race occurs during our Fur Rondy festival which is two weeks of fun winter events that culminate with the ceremonial start of the Iditarod.  It is a really fun and crazy festival that usually is accompanied with lots of snow and cold winter weather.

Ready to run!
My vote for the winner Aily Zirkle
Immunize your kids!
Not this year.  This year the snow had to be brought in for the mushers, another dog race was canceled and the snowshoe softball was just softball.

Snowshoe softball minus the snowshoes
Nevertheless again this year I got my costume ready to run a completely untrained 5k.  Its a fun family tradition and also the first 5k I ever did, so there is some sentiment there.

Frostbite 5k
This year my sister and I spent more time on our costumes than we did training for the race. We were really awesome scuba divers complete with air tanks, flippers and a mask.  It was awesome.
Scuba!

The actual race was pretty close to normal for me.  I think every year when I run this my race time is similar, its my untrained 5k time which is pretty consistently around 36 minutes.  I finished the race melting hot due to the warm weather and my costume requiring a black ski hat with goggles to hold the heat in, but good times were had by all.
Ready to swim

I have another 5k coming up which I am similarly untrained for but what the heck, racing around here is fun no matter if you are fast or slow.  At least I think it is... I always fall into the latter category!

Run Happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment