Friday, April 24, 2015

Swim Breakthrough & Kickass Brick

Good Morning,

I hope you all are having a great Friday, I am super excited for this weekend and am loving the warm weather we are having up here in Alaska - it is supposed to hit 55 today!!!

Before I get to the future fun I want to share an awesome achievement I had with you all.  It started last Friday at my swim class, something just felt like it clicked.  I have really been trying to reach my arms out and get that early catch with a strong straight forearm that doesn't wobble through the water.  I also have been thinking about my kick, I think its very weak which stems from it originating from the knee. 

So, last Friday I was felt like I got in a groove with some good strong forearms and an awkward but solid hip kick.  I told my husband after class that I think I made a good breakthrough because I just felt like I was on top of the water more but I wasn't sure.  Well this Wednesday at my technique class we did a 15 minute swim for distance in which our instructor would also mark down our 500m time.  So out I went trying my new technique not really sure if it was doing any good.  I was alone in the far lane so at times I couldn't even see people but when we finished and my coach went down the line telling us our times she got to me last and said "Kayse I think you made a big breakthrough" My heart just jumped and then she told me my time was 11:05!  To give some perspective I think one time I got a time that started with an 11, otherwise my fastest 500m in a race is 12:50.  I cut off about 45 seconds from my time and got very close to a time that starts with a 10!!!  That was my big goal that I didn't think I would reach this season.  I am so stoked and proud of all my hard work - making progress is awesome!

I also had a great weekend last weekend in terms of exercise.  On Saturday I did an impromptu brick workout with my husband.  We took our bikes out to a local high school which has easy access to the trail that is along the highway.  This trail is often used during races and is fairly flat so is a great spot to do some speed work on the the bike.  We left planning on training separately but ended up biking pretty close because I was killing my speeds.  My average speed was 15mph but I had some solid 20s on the way back where I got down in third position and just let it all out.  It felt amazing!  Well until I came home later and realized my lady parts felt like the
y had been hit by a baseball bat repeatedly - note to self - remember to use my bike shorts next time.
Need more bikes

After the bike I went out on some very hilly trails to work through that terrible feeling when you run after biking.  Not having any experience in this area I still maintain I think its close to what an epidural must feel like.  I know I have legs and I know they are moving but I can hardly feel them!  My trail run was 2 very slow miles on soggy hilly trails but it was good.  I was so proud of myself afterwards!

Snow free trails are so lovely!
The fun continued on Sunday with my first long run of the season.  It was only 5 miles and it was harder than it should be, but I did it and now I can move on to 6 miles next week!
First long run done!

After this exciting and successful weekend my week wasn't the best in terms of exercise and nutrition, lots of excuses that I will spare you from but suffice it to say I can do better :)
Foam rollin with Parks and Rec

This weekend however I am really excited to run my first race with my 4 year old nephew.  We are doing a 3k together on Saturday.  Then he is going to help me get things ready for my husbands birthday game night also on Saturday.  I think if I clean the house tonight after swim I can get a brick workout in between the 3k and the game night. 

My goal photo - looking good and strong Kayse!
Finally for the weekend its a long run (only up to 6 miles right now) and lots of work.  I have a project due on Monday that I have not had time to get to.  I am hoping that a miracle will happen and my new running shoes will come in before my long run on Sunday.  I tried on some cushy Aasics yesterday and loved them.  Unfortunately they run narrow so they had to order me the wide size.  If they don't come in before this long run they should be in before my race next week.  What is that you say about not trying something new for a race?  Ehhh whatever I have done it before...and it didn't work.  OK so I'm not a quick learner :) 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment